Sunday, October 11, 2015

"The Game"

I confess to never playing a miniature game. I'm assuming Monopoly doesn't count here. Something about giant tables and tape measures scares me.

But it feels like such a waste for all this paint to go unplayed. So I've started making a skirmish game of my own to help validate all the time I've been spending hunched over tiny metal dudes. Creating a game inspired by my collection scratches another itch of mine - I'm speaking of course about starting things that I'll never ever finish.

I don't have a name for this game. For the time being, I'm simply calling it "The Game".

The premise is that each of two players takes a team of miniatures into battle and tries to win by eliminating all of the opponent's figures. There is little to no dice rolling and all movement takes place on a small hex grid - think "Chess" meets "Final Fantasy Tactics" and you'd be on the right track.

Anyway, I'll spare you all the boring details, but I will share my first completed team. I'm calling it "Dank Dungeon".

♪ Whoa oh, here they come - watch out boy, they'll chew you up! 

These are all Reaper Bones figures, acquired from the Bones II Kickstarter.

I'm drawing inspiration from, of all things, Street Fighter. What I mean is that each team is fixed (you don't get to cherry pick different units), in essence acting as your "character". Each figure in your team represents a different tool. Playing further on the Street Fighter theme, there is meter management and comeback mechanics. More on all that later.

There are cards that go along with them, too, with all their stats and abilities. But since they're in such a state of flux and balancing, I'll just keep those to myself until another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment